As far as the Sunday School is concerned, it met in the chapel (there were no other premises), boys in the gallery and girls downstairs. Discipline was 'tough'. Unruly boys got a 'cuffing' and if they were particularly bad they were relegated to the 'pulpit stairs', a place no doubt in full view of the girls and their derisive titters. Heating of the premises was poor and often withheld altogether even in very cold weather to save money or work.
The schoolrooms were added in 1866 but had no classrooms or kitchen — a sign that the number of children attending was rapidly increasing. During 1887 repairs and alterations had to be done to the chapel, and the Mayor of Bideford at the time, A Duncan Esq, kindly granted the use of the Town Hall for our Sunday Services. By October 1892 the membership was around 200.